Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Early Bird Gets Up Way Too Early

"And guess what else, Dad!" I exclaimed one day, a few weeks before the start of freshman year of college. "She's not a morning person either!" I had just discovered my roomate assignment, and was overjoyed because I just knew the two of us were going to get along. 

"Sounds perfect," Dad replied, with a sly grin on his face. "There will be little grief in your room".

"Yeah!....wait. Is that a pun?"
My point here is not that my dad likes puns (which he does. A  lot) but that I am not, nor have ever been, a morning person. Looking back at my years in public school, I don't know how I managed to not only have eight o'clock classes for seven years, but catch the bus at 7:15 every single morning. In high school I even had chamber choir before school twice a week, meaning I had to leave my house at 6:45 am.  (I think if truth were to be told, I probably spent a little less time on my personal hygiene than I should have.)

Last year I had 9:00 classes almost every day. Often I would be muccccchhhh too drowsy to take notes during these classes. I perfected the art of looking like I was taking notes when in reality I was probably more asleep than awake. But-I actually have notes from these classes to prove that despite having my eyes closed I was taking notes at the same time.

Ok, so a lot of people dislike morning classes. So what?

Here's the thing: I'm going to be a teacher. I've still got two more years of school (and a year and a half until student teaching) but before I know it, I'm going to be moving on to the next step in my life; teaching. And you know what that means?

I'm going to have 8 am classes for the rest of my working life. 

Yup.

Early to bed, early to rise? Aight. I can do this. Just as soon as I finish this next episode.....

No comments:

Post a Comment