Saturday, December 14, 2013

A (Mundane) Day, in the (Mad) Life

Hey guys. 

You're probably wondering....what exactly do I DO all day?? I mean, c'mon ya slacker. Not going to school? 

Well no. Here's whats up:
 6:00 am. My phone alarm screeches Beethoven's 5th. Depending on if I was texting the night before, or hadn't seen my phone in days, I either startle, with it ringing right next to my head, or groggily flop around for five minutes trying to find the source of the din.

6:10. Alarm #2 beeps its way into my head. (C'mon. You didn't expect one alarm to do the trick, did ya?) I usually hit snooze 3 or 4 times,

6:35 . I finally tear myself from the beloved covers and stagger to my closet (or laundry room. Or bathroom, depending on where my  clothes were last seen)

7:00: depending on the day, hop in the truck, or get picked up. I'm off!!

7:30: I arrive at Midwest Screw Products, and clock in. I then head over to the shipping section and  ask my supervisor, Lee what I need to do for the day. He directs me to whatever job needs to get out the fastest. Here's 3 typical scenarios.

1.) OILY OILY OILY (never ending) BOLTS. I make myself a couple of boxes, dip the parts in some solvent to make them less oily, and then lug the parts over to the table. I sit down on the metal stool and spray the parts off with an air hose. Depending on which size part,  I get 270-565 parts per box. All stack packed. 5 layers.

2.) The incredibly tedious fragile parts that have to be perfectly clean. This involves using rubbing alcohol, a toothbrush, and q-tips. However, these are nice because I won't get oily and everyone knows they take a long time!

3.) The 9th circle of hell.
Yup. These parts have got so much debris packed inside that if you aim even slightly in the wrong direction when you spray them out, you will hit your foot and inflict terrible pain. Needless to say...I dont like these parts. :P

All in all, though, it has been a good experience so far. I've gotten steady hours, and good pay. It's whipped me into wake-up-early-mode, (but I might revert as soon as I'm done!) And most of all taught me that I DONT want to work here for the rest of my life. ONWARD TO SCHOOLING.

Wish me luck! My last day is December 19, and after that, Christmas break(and some Chipotle work) and SCHOOL.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment