Tuesday, September 22, 2020

OCC

*This post was originally written on 11/5/2017. I just found it in my drafts and am publishing it today.* 

What does a person who has been lousy at tithing do with all the money that should have been tithed? 
Spend it all on shoeboxes, of course. 
This year, I packed 6 Operation Christmas Child boxes, one for each category, as well as stocked up on some extra supplies that our school will use at our packing party. I had never done a toddler box OR  a guy box before, so this was a new experience for me. 

WHAT I INCLUDED IN EVERY BOX

  • Washcloths
  • Soap and soap box
  • Toothbrush

GIRL 10-14.

This was the first box that I packed, and it was also the easiest box for me to pack. 
Contents:
  • The basics: soap, toothbrush, washcloths
  • Pencil pouch with 3 compartments.
    • pencils, pens, pencil sharpener, markers, erasers.
    • nail clippers, emory board, band-aids.
    • compact mirror and blush
  • Stuffed animal dog 
  • Hairbrush
  • Notebook

BOY 10-14.

Danny helped me with this box. I was surprised at how much he cared about what went into it. It turns out he has expensive taste and would veto almost everything I suggested. Regular notebook? No way. The $8 sketchbook must go in! LEGOs? Nope! How about Magrific Tiles! Unfortunately, we didn't end up buying the Magrific Tiles because they were ridiculously expensive and in a fairly large box. We did however pack a soccer ball and pump (he spent a LOT of time picking out the right soccer ball), sunglasses, harmonica (not up to his standards), and a baseball cap. 
The contents:

  • The basics
  • Soccer ball and pump
  • Pencil pouch with pencils and sharpener
  • Harmonica
  • Dice
  • Sunglasses
  • Baseball cap
  • Sketchpad

GIRL 5-9

This was Betsy's box. She packed it at the same time that I was packing the 10-14 box. I had gone to Walmart and bought the supplies for both. As I went through what I bought we separated them into 2 piles (hers, and mine). She took such great care packing this box. 💗💗💗
Contents: 
  • The basic toiletries
  • Stuffed animal dog (with zipper! She put the washcloths, toothbrush, floss, and kleenex inside).
  • Twisty Crayons
  • Kleenex
  • Pencil pouch with markers, pencils, erasers, and pencil grippies.
  • Notebook

BOY 5-9

  • The basics
  • Pencil pouch with markers, pencils, erasers, and pencil grippies
  • Notebook
  • PAW Patrol Playing Cards
  • Squishy baseball
  • Recorder
  • Bird stuffed animal
  • Cars tote bag

GIRL 2-4


\


Ahhh, the toddler boxes turned out super cute. I loved buying stuff for them. The adorable thumper leggings are from Lularoe Emily Jang. She's such an awesome consultant, and when she heard they were for a shoebox, she shipped them to me for free and gave me an awesome deal on them! She is super sweet. 
I also stuck in some hair bows, a stuffed animal, 32 ct. crayons, a coloring book, a waterbottle, plastic utensils, soap, washcloth, and a comb. 

BOY 2-4


  • The basics
  • Coloring book
  • 32 ct. crayons
  • Long sleeved athletic shirt
  • Bouncy ball
  • Squirrel stuffed animal
  • Waterbottle and plastic utensils
  • 2 large Ticonderoga pencils
Last but not least the boy 2-4 box (feat: horrible wrapping job). 

I would highly recommend doing this project. It is a great way to put others before yourself. I am usually a very frugal person, but I found that while shopping for these boxes I was not as concerned about costs as I was about the quality of items. (I do NOT recommend dollar store toys.) If you have kids, make sure to include them on this! We did these boxes when I was a kid and I have very fond memories of packing them and even going to the volunteer location in Minneapolis to help sort and ship the boxes. 

For more information you can go to:  https://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/

No comments:

Post a Comment